Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A New Era for NCPrime Development!

Okay, so the title is a bit dramatic. But it's accurate.

Today, I installed Windows 8 on the laptop I use for programming (and taking notes in class). It's an ASUS X54C-BBK5 15.4" basic notebook...with a Corsair Force 3 SATA III SSD, easily one of the fastest available at its modest price point. POST to login in 4 seconds running 64-bit Windows 8 Pro. Very nice indeed.

I took this opportunity primarily to finally try out Visual Studio 2012, and I must say, I was instantly hooked. Just look at the interface.


It's color-coded like XCode! and Eclipse. And NetBeans. And, well, most IDEs out there.

I mean wow. Great. It's easier to use than I thought. I initially was hesitant because I thought I'd have to learn a whole new set of features, but it turns out the few immediately noticeable functionality changes are actually intuitive and also improvements.

Futuristic, no?

I did, however, have to re-build Qt from source in its entirety, which took about two hours even with /MP. There are a few necessary tweaks to be made in order to build Qt 4.8.3 for VS2012 even though the mkspec remains win32-msvc2010. Since I built it with the VS2012 64-bit command prompt, I ended up with 64-bit Qt libraries and DLLs, which is fantastic, because now MuPuPriNT Extended (and soon every other NCPrime app) will be fully 64-bit!

I have yet to test the app on Windows 7 now it's rebuilt. I do have several Windows 7 machines available for testing. None have Qt installed, which is good to test the deployment itself, and one is (for some reason) 32-bit, so I'll have a go at that. Later I'll get around to testing everything on XP as well, although in the past there have been no issues even on a low-end laptop from 2005.

Currently, however, I am working on bug-squashing as for some reason the unified testing procedures for verbose and reverse BFTD do not work at all. In fact, they crash the application regardless of the number type selected or other options...

Here's what it all looks like at the moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment