Monday, November 26, 2012

MuPuPriNT Overhaul and Milestone Acknowledgements

This is the 100th post on this blog! It seems like I've made a lot more than that, but perhaps that's just me.

In any case, I have taken the last few days to make some major changes to MuPuPriNT - specifically, what it can do. Currently, MuPuPriNT 2.0.2 beta is the latest version available; it is only capable of testing four different kinds of numbers.

So, I am working on MuPuPriNT 2.1.0 Extended, which can test eleven different kinds! This includes Wagstaff, Carol, Kynea, Leyland, Thabit, and Cuban types 1 and 2 in addition to the current Proth, Cullen, Woodall, and Pythagorean options. The interface has been adjusted accordingly:


Note that there is now a drop-down box for number type selection instead of a slider. Additionally, there is now a button called "Numbers" which will display a table containing information about each type of number available for testing, including their requirements (for instance, n greater than 1, q must be prime, etc).

Also, I have made some major changes to the MuPuPriNT SourceForge page! Check it out.

I am going to be adding more to the wiki in the future, but if you are interested in how MuPuPriNT extended will work, check out the About page for 2.1.0.

Finally, I am looking into creating a unified testing procedure for MuPuPriNT. This would mean that instead of over twenty different header and source files for each type of number, there would be around twenty in total for the entire application! This would dramatically reduce compilation time, which lately has soared to about three minutes even using the /MP option. Also, it just makes more sense, and would remove a great deal of repeat code from the source repository and the application itself.

I know this is totally possible, so I will start by writing and testing this unified testing procedure with the new additions to MuPuPriNT's number "vocabulary" in order to determine its viability for full implementation. This will probably happen within the next week or so.

Since this is a milestone post on this blog, I'd just like to thank all of you who follow my progress, provide feedback and recommendations on SourceForge, and actually test or use my applications. I recognize that prime number testing is a bit of a "niche market," but I'm glad there are others out there whose interest in recreational mathematics has led them to the NCPrime family!

No comments:

Post a Comment