Monday, September 10, 2012

GJSieve Woes

I gave up on the threading implementation I tried in GJSieve 2.0 for Windows. It was far too cumbersome and (as it turns out) incredibly unstable. So I am trying a new method using a single giant class. Hopefully it works better.

This involves two separate structures which pass pointers to each other. I sincerely hope that following this advice will help alleviate the serious stability issues I found.

At the same time, GJSieve for Mac is in progress. This will be version 0.5, technically. It will look a lot like IsItPrime 0.2, though not identical. One of the (few) perks of an automagic IDE such as XCode is the ability to use the exact same graphical layout across multiple applications simply by copying and pasting and changing a few important parameters.

It has been a strange day. I spent most of the last hour waiting for webpages to load on the junky old laptop I bring to class with me. I really ought to buy a new one - thinking of an ASUS K53, but any suggestions on inexpensive (as in less than $400) but not-terribly-quality laptops are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment